- おはようございます。= Good morning.
(おはよう is from はやい early. おはようございます is like "You are early.")
- こんにちは。= Good afternoon./Hello. (Used in a daytime)
(こんにち = today, は is topic marker. こんにちは is a short of something like "How are you TODAY?")
- こんばんは。 = Good evening.
(こんばん = this evening/tonight, こんばんは is like "How are you TONIGHT?")
- では、また。= See you again. (では = well then, また = again)
じゃ、また。= See you again. (じゃ = casual of では)
じゃあ(ね)。= See you. (more casual)
- Q: (お)げんきですか。(お = polite) = How are you?
A: ありがとうございます。げんきです。= Thank you. I'm fine.
("(お)げんきですか" is not used often, because "こんにちは" and "こんばんは" include "How are you?")
- どうぞ。= Please. (Used when you offer something. ex. Here you are. Go ahead.)
- すみません。= I'm sorry. Excuse me. Pardon?
- ちょっとまってください。= Just a moment, please.
(ちょっと = a little, まってください = please wait)
- Q: だいじょうぶですか。= OK?
A: だいじょうぶです。= OK
- はい。= Yes.
- いいえ。 = No.
The Japanese language school, Meguro Language Center (in Tokyo) was established in 1990 and since then has been attended by students from all over the world.